Monday, August 22, 2011

Top 10 Singles - #1


Umbrella (Feat. Jay-Z) - Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad - 2007


I have never mentioned the song that sits atop my Top 10 Singles list on my Blog, but it's a song that everyone reading will know. Staying at the UK number 1 for 10 weeks, Umbrella is undeniably Rihanna's biggest hit. For me, it's not only her best, but the best song in my music collection. It combines everything mentioned about the songs that preceded it; it's Crazy in Love from the future, with an epic drum pattern that makes up most of the production. A chorus that is both epic and relatable, with the 'eh eh' hook that would soon define the charts heard in it's purest form. The closing section of the middle 8 has to be one of my favourite parts of any song too, the 'Because...' setting off that massive chorus for the final time. Lyrically and sonically it doesn't get much better than Umbrella. A perfectly simple yet marvelous song.

UK Chart Position - 1
Best Lyric - 'When the sun shines we'll shine together, told you I'll be here forever'

No comments:

Post a Comment